20100426

The Story of US and Other History (Political) Lessons

I watched this on the History Channel last night. All I have to say is that I missed the first 120 seconds of the broadcast. Why?

Because the fraudulent idiot opened the show. I left the room for the toilet and spilled my dinner.

That is all.

No, it's not all. I was leaving this comment in Cmblake6's blog about Anderson Cooper Shitting Himself, when my story-telling became too long for a comment. I figured I better write here rather than hi-jack his entry.

"I remember back in 1980, my first semester in college, when my political science "professor", Dr. Katsikas (bitch, whore, slut), claimed that "Communism is the purist form of government." She went on to try and passionately prove it to us. At the end of the 100 minute lecture the mumbles amongst the student body as we were leaving were incredible - many claiming that they would be dropping the course immediately."

"Me? I went strait to take care of that very task. I saw two others in line from the same class. I don't know how many actually bugged out, because I never returned. However, as a fraternity prank several weeks later, we streaked the lobby and corridors outside her lecture room. Yes, we were streaking in 1980."

A couple semesters later, during the second semester political science course, the moron "professor" (can't remember his ponytail name, but I remember that he was from Massachusetts), opened the class by writing the Preamble to the US Constitution on the chalk boards. I watched him hammer it out, all of it.

When he finished, he circles two phrases; "...provide for the common defence," and "...promote the general welfare."

Then he said this, "Today, this is the main difference between Democrats and Republicans." Before he could draw another breath, my arm went skyward. He called on me.

"To me, provide and promote do not mean the same thing."

"What do you mean." he said looking ghost-like.

"To provide something, means it's all on you. To promote something, means to provide avenues for others to provide or to advertise."

The moments that followed were uncomfortable and quite tense. He eventually got back on track, but three weeks later, after the first exam, he stopped me outside the room as I was leaving and said, "I have never had three weeks of lesson plans destroyed like I had on the first day of class." I was fearful of my course grade at that very moment, but he continued, "I never looked at the phrasing quite like that, but you were right in what you said."

Do these people actually read the words or do they simply fit them to their ideology? (rhetorical)

I ended up with an A in the course. He and I had healthy debates for most of the semester. To his credit, he was a decent guy albeit his politics were all screwed up.

Our education system is so broken that I have serious doubts that it can ever be repaired. I am very concerned on this matter.

Kudos: Cmblake6

4 comments:

  1. You do realize you may have woken this professor up to the possibility that his tweed pants theories weren't all they were cracked up to be? You did well, methinks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are assuming that libtard is basing his ideals on the Constitution.

    We've seen how these dopes then decide to ignore the Constitution all together in favor of higher intellectual thought than those who actually scored the Constitution to begin with.

    Makes my blood boil.

    However, it does make me feel good that he would have had to alter his opening monologue for future classes to avoid risking another such public embarrassment.

    I do hope you are right, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Y'know, I confess that I used to feel bad that I never got to go to college. Now, I am thinking that this was to my intellectual advantage. Many of the classes that my son is taking are absolute bullshit and a monumental waste of time and money; I am beginning to realize that my having been a graduate of the School of Hard Knocks has made me a much better critical thinker than your average college student/grad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elphaba...I only had idiot professors in the political courses. Well, I had a lunatic in a course studying literary works by minorities and women, but it was his style of teaching and he was really good. He opened every day with a joke and was actually funny.

    Eh, my psyche and sociology courses were sort of bullshit, but my mathematics and sciences were very good and very worth while.

    College is a great effort and I recommend it in spite of the bullshit, because it does mimic life after college, so there is that.

    I will give you that learning trades is also a valuable way to go. My parents didn't attend university, but they are two of the wisest people I have ever known.

    ReplyDelete

Your point being?