20100517

The Trouble with the Civil War Letters and Texting While Driving

I stopped with the the Civil War letters for a couple of reason. First, in following the trek of the misfortunes Mr. Burns, I noticed that a couple of letters must have been mis-dated. By that I mean, that Lum had two letters dated 1863 when they obviously had to have been 1862. That being my hypothesis, I stopped until I could confirm the case.

Next, I figure this is not the proper depository for such serious business. Upon much thought or as much as I could fit into 425 seconds, I've decided to start the war letters over in a new all historic blog. Why? Well, simple. Some of what is in the letters is too much for what I intended for this depository. I also believe that they deserve some analysis and commentary. In order to do them some sort of honor, I will post them one at a time with additional factual extrapolations.

However, seriousness aside, there are too many comedic opportunities to be had by placing them in a bucket of mimic and satirical context. THAT, my friends, will be poured out here in this very collection of absent minded bloviated bisque.

The car? Oh, yeah. I saw a texter behind the wheel eat it big time this morning. The idiot was entering the freeway as I sped along in the right lane of three. As I approached the on coming entrance ramp I looked upon the ramp in time to see the car simple right turn off the roadway, down into the ditch, up the other side and into the over growth of bushery and tree.

Once its forward momentum came to a pause, the auto then began to turtle over back into the ditch and onto its top. I saw all the windows explode as I passed. Just passed the entry ramp, there were construction barriers in the form of thick concrete and no, I said no shoulder on which to stop and render aid.

I did the next best thing. I whipped out my archaic, yet still nifty, cell phone.and punched in 9-1-1. A half hour later, I heard the accident reported on the radio and was somewhat relieved that the word fatality was not in the report. Five minutes after that, an officer of the law telephoned me and the inquisition was on. My first question was, of course, "Is the person ok?" after which the officer said the person was fine.

So, the accident was a little disturbing for a spell, but now that I know that he/she is "fine" I can address the idiot as just that, an idiot.

Folks, I don't care how good you think you are at multi-tasking, attempting any sort of multi-task that averts your eyes off the roadway is not only stupid, but potentially deadly. This car was going perhaps 45-50 mph and whether it was texting or a coffee spill, this could have turned out much worse.

I advise all to keep the shenanigans in the blogosphere.

That is all.

3 comments:

  1. Never have understood the whole "cellphone-while-driving" thing..... come to think of it, I don't understand the eating, make-up, or reading while driving, either. I am a multitasker, but not while driving.

    As to the letters, that sounds like a great idea. I'm sure there are some historical and geneaological blogs where you can link it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I need is time.

    Yeah, the cell phone on the freeway thing is only in important issues only and even then no texting and "can I call you back later."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Re: Civil War letters

    If you have questions on the dates of specific letters in that bunch, I'm the guy to ask since I was the one who transcribed them. C.C. Burns was my great-great-grandfather, and my mother was a Burns.

    I have scans of most of them, made from some old photocopies a cousin sent me. I have no idea who has the originals. For some of them I have only the transcripts the cousin made; for some reason she no longer had the photocopies.

    You can email me here: deged@delphian.org

    By the way, how did you happen to come across the letters yourself? I sent the soft copy to a few people, so obviously I'm not trying to protect them--I'm just curious.

    ReplyDelete

Your point being?